Saturday 14 July 2012

The joyful British Summer


St Peters Ward councillors joined forces with Cannonbury today to man a stall outside Essex Road post office.  In spite of the very wet weather we had some good conversations with local people, especially about trees.  


We also spoke with one young man, who by his own admission used to deal drugs, and has now turned his life around to the point where he is working for a charity that takes gang members to Africa, where they help build schools for the local children, and get to see what real poverty (and mob rule) is like. He says the experience seriously changes the kids attitude to life, and they generally don't get involved in gangs afterwards.  I told him I thought it was really positive that he was putting so much back into society.  He said "well I took enough out, I thought I'd better put something back".


Pictured are Cllr Wally Burgess (Cannonbury Ward) and myself.  Alice Perry also joined us, too late for the photo.

No comments: